Friday, April 2, 2010

Dyeing Eggs

I decided that this was the year to teach Mitchell how to dye Easter Eggs and it went pretty well considering we started off with a small tantrum due to Mitchell deciding he didn't want to put on his "holy" jeans or an apron. He won on both accounts and thank goodness it didn't matter anyways.

Just starting out- one egg is already cracked due to Mommy just dropping it into the boiling water.
Mitchell wanted to use the green dye first which hadn't fully dissolved yet, so it came out looking like Memama's favorite color- yellow/green.
I shouldn't have worried about Mitchell getting dirty since he was very careful with the eggs and putting them on the tray that wold eventually collapse due to too much water dripping from the eggs. Next year I think I'll invest in a plastic tray to hold them.And yes, we did end up spilling something. Of course we had too! It's a tradition to make some type of mess! Thank goodness we had already dyed a couple of blue eggs, so the loss was no big thing AND it didn't get on Mitchell.The blue dye before it went kaput. I had fun trying to get good shots of the eggs in the dye. This is one of my favorites. All done! Until the next step...
The next step was to decorate the eggs with CARS stickers. My son had to look over the pictures to see which stickers went on what color eggs, of course. He's a bit staunch when it comes to creative projects like this. Choosing just the right sticker. They weren't coming off the paper real well, so Mitchell got tired after just three stickers.Pretty eggs!

Some things I learned for next year:

1. Buy a plastic tray to hold the eggs.
2. Don't bother doing the wraps around the eggs. It's hard to keep them in the middle.
3. If I do choose to do the wraps in the future I need to make sure the egg dye is REALLY good, or else the hot water will take the dye off.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

Cute Pictures, Abby!