On the way home from Colorado we spent the night in Amarillo and what better thing to do in Colorado than go to Cadillac Ranch and spray paint some cars?! I was so excited to go because I had never been and had been wanting to do this for awhile. Plus with CARS being a hit I thought Mitchell would love it. I was wrong. Poor Mitchell couldn't understand why someone would bury their cars. He kept calling them "dead cars" or "cars that died." Then he wanted to know if their owners died with them and did the owners love these cars? Trying to explain to him that someone thought it would be interesting to bury cars as art so people could enjoy them didn't work. He either looked at me like I was crazy or confused. Guess I shouldn't have expected a 4.5-year-old to understand what passes as art to some people.
Cadillac Ranch- so many people going that I couldn't get a good clean shot.

First thing I spray painted was Mitchell's name across a car. That got him into the whole idea of spray painting the cars.

Poor Mitchell tried hard to get the spray paint to work, but he didn't have enough strength in his little arms.

Finally Matthew came up with the idea of using the ground as leverage and "helping" out a little bit. Mitchell was able to paint a few squares on the bottom.

What we thought was kind of crazy was that when people were done with the spray paint, they'd just throw the can out on the ground. Laura picked up one and tried to spray paint herself. Since I knew it was empty and that she didn't have a chance of actually spraying herself it was a nice way to keep her distracted from getting in the way of the people using "live" cans.

Matthew, of course, had to draw a Batman Symbol.

and an A&M.

I think Mitchell was more excited by my Green Lantern symbol.

I had to leave my own mark. Very original, huh?!
No comments:
Post a Comment